Monday 29 December 2008

Plum duff




Hello Tightwad enthusiasts,


Last time we met I had just done a practice session at Mallory in preparation for the 35th annual plum pudding race.


Boxing day saw me and the scooter which was wedged tightly into the back of my car, set off for a days racing. This event is quite good value as you get three races and not two for a few pounds less than normal. I had picked up fellow racer Steve Conneely en route so i did not have to push it on my own and arrived at the circuit at 7.30.


The weather was cold with patches of cold and the odd ray of cold. Still undetered we unpacked the bike and started to clean it and repair it from the practice session. The plug was changed and new plug cap fitted and we then set off for scrutineering. This was an unusual process as the scrutineer said "I don't know anything about scooters so you will have to be patient with me". "Not to worry", I said, "I happen to be a scrutineer for the BSSO" and set about educating the poor woman. Needless to say, the scooter passed with flying colours and I was free to go off and sign in.


With the paper work out of the way I thought it would be a good idea to start the bike and check it was all ok. Would she start? would she heck so it was back to the stand and have a look at what the problem was. The plug was dry so after a quick check we pushed it once more and this time it started. The engine of extreme hope sounded keen enough so i put the fault down to a sticking float valve. The engine did not start too well all day but ran ok. Either the weather was bothering it or the new plug was a bit fussy.


There were three other scooter racers there this year. The flying Charlie Edmonds, Bullet and Pellet. Charlie went out in the first session but Bullet, pellet and i went out in the second which is a shame as i could have gauged my performance against Charlies by seeing how long it takes him to lap me. Either way everything was going well until lap two when i developed a rattle in the engine and came into the paddock to see what was up. It was nothing too serious and a loose head cowling always sounds worse than it is.


I missed the rest of the session but managed to fix the cowling and before long we were out to start the race. Three people fell off on the sighting lap which is a big no no (£50 fine) so we had a delayed start and another sighting lap. Only two fell off this time so the delay was not as bad but i was wondering if we would ever make it to the start of the grid. Eventually the race started and we were off. I catapulted into last position and wondered whether my brakes were stuck on. I caught up with Bullet and Pellet at Gerrards and passed them both. They fought back a bit for the rest of the lap but i emerged victorious in the end. Both of them have more power and speed than me so i felt quite good about it. I also overtook an MZ 250 and held this spot till the end of the race. It was quite a result for me as i have raced this event for the last three years and come last with a more powerfull bike before so this was indeed an improvement, also i was not pushing as hard as i could so i was looking forward to race two.


The bike came out of the first race without any issues so it was out for race two after a delay while they cleared up the mess from the car race (check it out on youtube). I got a much better start and held off Bullet and Pellet into Gerrards and was pestering an MZ and an RD250. I overtook both of them but the RD straight lined me on the start finish straight but i got past him again at Gerrards and held him off along the back straight and into Edwinas. Then as i turned into the esses a loud and unmistakable noise of no exhaust filled mine and everyone elses ears. I looked down to see of i had a tail can and indeed i did. That meant that i had split the pipe further up. The JL4 pipe which i have borrowed to get me going had exploded and the stub end was hanging by the tensioning spring under the bike. Game over and i crawled back to the paddock.


These JL4's work well but are indeed a load of shit. I suspect that this latest generation of the pipe are made frome Chinese steel which is cheap and useless as a cost cutting exercise that will only fail and disapoint you. My advice is to stay well clear of them as this is not the only one to do this that i have heard of. It's not as if they are a cheap option either so buy any other type not the JL's.


The other lads did well for themselves and gave the crowd a good show. I enjoyed the event even though it was a bit short for me and i will be there again next year.


Thanks to Steve, Squaddie and Handbags for their help.


Keep your eyes peeled for a tuning update as the Tightwad bike has caught the attention of a well known engine tuner who is willing to help get more power out of the old girl.


If you would like to help support the Tightwad bike Call 07751 267711 or e-mail siredward@btinternet.com


Happy new year to you and remember. If you are looking at the back of the Tightwad bike you are not a rubbish racer, just one of many to come.








No comments: